Friday, September 11, 2009

What Can I Give Him~

I have a place I want you to all know about, it is called The Storehouse. The Storehouse is literally a faith based food pantry, clothes closet and prayer ministry for the poor. Located in Pflugerville, it provides service for anyone in need...no strings attached. It is a ministry started by Jack and Sandra Cochran because they found themselves in a place of need, knowing what it meant to be hungry. They have poured their hearts, time and resources into this ministry for over 6 years.

This ministry requires no proof of income, no proof of need, does not require that you live in a certain area, they simply open their doors each day and serve all that enter. They show the love of Jesus Christ in it's purest form, service and acceptance.

I have prayed for quite some time for God to lead me to a place of service. I've had a couple of opportunities, but nothing seemed like the place I knew God wanted me to be, until now.

The premise is simple, the ministry is anything but simple. People come, sign in, meet with an intake coordinator, talk about any special needs, receive prayer if they want it (100% asked for prayer), they go into a small room where they receive food for approximately 4-5 meals. They receive food ONCE a month. Let that settle with you for just a minute. 4-5 meals, once a month.

As I knew it would be, I was on the receiving end Wednesday, not the giving end. Mothers, fathers, children, grandmothers, brothers, sisters...they all came. One gentleman could hardly walk, so painful to get in and out of the chairs, I asked him if he minded me asking what was wrong with his foot (in a cast), he said he was a diabetic, had his toe amputated a few weeks earlier and he had infection around the site...oh and yes, he was hungry. No complaints, smiled the entire time he was there.

And then came Chris. He was the last man I had the privilege of praying with and serving that day, but who am I kidding, he served me more than I could ever serve him. As we got up from the intake/prayer desk and started to make our way into the room for food, he stopped, pulled a tattered one dollar bill from his worn out wallet and placed it in a jar of coin donations sitting on the desk.

I was overwhelmed! What had I just witnessed? I had not even noticed the jar, and still have no idea what organization the collection is for (it is not for The Storehouse), but I knew I had just witnessed the love of Jesus Christ in this dear man! Giving something back, walking in faith that God would provide for him, his family, all their needs, in spite of their current circumstances.

I fought back tears in that moment but let them fall as soon as I got in my car. I still stand amazed at how good God has been in our life and pray that Chris can rub off on me. Jesus in the ordinary...Chris, you are anything but ordinary, thank you for the greastest gift you could give.


~What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a Sheperd,
I'd give him a lamb.
If I were a Wiseman,
I would do my part.
What can I give him,
I'LL GIVE HIM MY HEART~

Author Unknown

xoxo,

May you find Jesus in the ordinary and may His love be enough~

No comments:

Post a Comment